Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lower body strength

I've been following the Convict Conditioning squat progression for a while but after breezing through the first 6 steps I decided, instead going through 3 easier versions of pistols, I'd rather just do pistols.

One of my goals is to jump over the fence in the backyard. Since I don't have access to a gym, and deadlift type stuff seems to bother my back, I'm mostly working with bodyweight exercises. But that's ok, I found some great information here about vertical jump training and bodyweight exercises. Pistols and airborne lunges are my weapons of choice. Airborne lunges have also been called single leg deads but I disagree. So here's my current lower body plan, I'll see how it goes and make adjustments as necessary.

Monday and Friday:

Warm up with a few counter-movement jumps

Single leg hops: 5 – 10 reps

Pistols: 2-4 sets x repetition max

Airborne lunges: 2-4 sets x repetition max

I plan to spend the winter focusing mostly on building a strength base and start adding more jumping and plyometrics in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment